The HIKE Foundation has formed a national alliance with Scholastic Book Fairs to provide their proven literacy-based Family Engagement program, Read and Rise to help improve school-to-home connections. The program is free to the parents and students and is predominantly hosted at low-income schools with high minority enrollment.
Scholastic’s Read and Rise Family Reading events are research-based programs that are proven to…
- Increase access to self-selected books for students to make part of their personal home libraries
- Increase parental involvement in schools
- Help educate parents on their role as their child’s “Reading Role Model” at home
- Help schools create a welcoming environment for their parents to help them feel more comfortable in their child’s school
- Help families with children ages 1-5 learn how to prepare their child for school so they enter Kindergarten "Ready to Learn"
The Scholastic Read and Rise Family Reading Event includes:
- The Scholastic Read and Rise Book Fair offering more than 400 popular children and adult titles that families can select to add to their home libraries
- The Read and Rise Parent Reading Workshop that teaches young parents how to make reading a habit at home
- A special "Kindergarten Readiness" workshop for parents in the community who have children ages 1-5 to help them prepare their child for kindergarten
- A student read-a-loud activity
- The Family Build-a-Book activity where parents and their children work as a team to build a book from scratch