ABOUT THE PROGRAM
Connecting the School and Home Community with Read and Rise
Read and Rise is a national Scholastic literacy initiative, supported by Matt Birk's HIKE Foundation that reinforces the practical things all families can do to ensure their children become strong readers and learners. Together, schools and families practice literacy skills to encourage a love of reading and promote academic achievement.
Scholastic's Read and Rise program is designed to support schools with their family engagement goals by:
- Providing access to books for all students regardless of their socioeconomic status
- Helping families foster the skills, attitudes, and behaviors that support children’s literacy development
- Engaging families through fun, literacy-based events
- Preparing children for reading and learning development
- The Read and Rise Book Fair, the Family Reading Workshop and the Build-a-Book activity are the three components of this program and work best when offered together during a Family Reading Event.
Matt Birk's HIKE Foundation works with caring organizations to host these special events in low-income urban and rural schools across the country.
What We Do
Scholastic and Matt Birk's HIKE Foundation work together to develop Community Reading Alliances in cities across the US.
Matt Birk's HIKE Foundation was established to provide at-risk children with the educational opportunities needed to excel.
See for Yourself!
Watch a short video about the Read & Rise program